how well :-D

Previous topic - Next topic

spacefractal

Long time ago im checked as glbasic is not so much, even im still love it and recently actuelly did a game (Cave Hereoes). Which kind of projects is people doing?

Here we finished work Head over Heels for the Spectrum Next, which is of course a none glbasic project. Im did all the music for the game as well various chicken rooms as well (not all throught). Fun game to create stuff to even im newer has played the original (im was not a spectrum fan back then). Yes we might have been a bit late for the KS2 release of Spectrim Next, but we did it. Ist ace to see people still like to purchese physical games. hihi

PS. It ok to talk about none glbasic project this time as its a off typic thread.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

[WARNING - A WALL OF TEXT IS APPROACHING FAST]

Hello back chaps, I do check the Forum quite often but had not much time to participate past 2 years, mostly because of a Master' Degree in Design, which I defended last week and also got into a PHD in Design for the next 4 years. I tried the best I could on the Master's research because it would make my life easier during PHD, and also provide time and condition to do my games in peace. Either way, here is an old video about the research. It is VR based and more on that subject later or on another post.

GAMES! We are here for games! :)
Well, if there is something I'm 100% sure of myself and life, is that making games is my existence reason, I can't be too far away from doing it or sadness and depression kicks in. So of course I did not spent last 2 years without actually making them ;)

Let me point to the more relevant ones.
First there is ALEKTRYON AND THE MURK TROTTERS, a GLBasic game which is a mix between Joust(Arcade) and Pegasus and the Phantom Riders (TRS-80 Color computer). A very retro game for 3 players.
There is a thread on this forum about it and here is the last live WIP I did for it.

The game is pretty much half done, it needs: bosses, enemy AI fine tune, music, into/outro.
I should be back at it this semester, it's a good Steam release candidate.

Then, there is a series of games I did for the TRS-80 Color Computer using its Disk Extended Color Basic.

THE SEDNA STRAIN is a vertical shoot em up inspired by a 1k space invaders game list for zx81.
It has the player travelling through the Solar System destroying plant based aliens, at each check point, a boss forms up, it is generated based on how you play so it is always different.
Here a few WIP videos. This game is like 85% done.

At some point I was struck with an old urge of mine on doing a Lander kind of game. Decided to mix it up with strategy, resource managing, multiplayer, open world and a pinch of text adventure to spice it up. So, BELOW:MESA CRYPT OF AQUILON was born. The game is like 85% done too, fully playable.
Here is a WIP video I posted on Tweeter:
https://x.com/FUED_hq/status/1547661679089004545
And here a very early world test:
The visuals have been improved over these ones, they are very early stuff.
It is a complex game, very difficult and weird... I will probably be the only one playing it :(
Here is an early WIP mission map on the world:
You cannot view this attachment.

One day, the ghost of making a zombie rogue like came hunting me, triggering the development of IT CAME FROM THE WEST. A roguelike zombie survival game. The original intention was to do something for the 10line Contest, but I got carried away. Also, I did it running the COCO emulator at 1000% speed, experimentally ;)
The current version is playable that way but Jim Jerrie dis an MC-10 port that runs normal speed and he also added some features :)
Here is little live I shot on playing my turbo version
And here Jim Gerrie doing his magic!
Gotta remake this game at some point, probably for multi 8bit platforms and GLB PC.

An ace game developer, Nick Marrentes, did a PONG game on our FB group and challenge people to check/improve/experiment. I went a bit wield and decided to follow the principles but do something like Frog Bog (arcade/intellivision/atari2600). So, TOAD BOG was born. It is a type-in booklet coloring game :D :D :D Other than the paper portability and dev docs, it has info to paint the stuff messing with the code. The project is done, it needs packaging and release :)

Finally, at my birthday this year, 04/11, I took a few days off and decided to do a fight game using ugBasic, so I made THE SAVAGE SWORD OF COCON, sort of a simple Barbarian clone, more like the kind of fighting you get on Prince of Persia, you know?
Anyways, there is twist game mode, you can set the players stats to configure your warrior. Fight Tournaments can be done with created warriors :) I will try to run an online tournament this semester.

I sure need to get back to this game within next 2 months and make a final release, add sound, music and some extra stuff, also source free.

I think that is about it, there was also a bit of development on a Shock Trooper kind of game for the Spectrum, I think I told you guys about this one before, anyways, it was done using MPAGD, a nice retro multi platform game engine.

I also did a bunch of tests using ugBasic, a modern basic (very similar to GLBasic), capable of exporting asm to a bunch of 8bits. A very nice project and I recommend checking it out.
I mostly used the COCO features but am interested on ZX spectrum and MSX too.

I think on the game side of things those are pretty much it.

Back on GLBasic, ALEKTRION is the priority, BELOW certanly could be ported or recreated, this would be fun! COCON I have other plans on that front.
There is also another GLB little gem of project on hold, this one here:
And some other GLB projects is early design stages.
There are probably more news I can't remember right now, probably did some special effects and movie stuff for a bunch of people and also took part at RETRO SC events, which preparation for this year's November issue is just about to start, I will talk more about it later, I always showcase GLBasic and my games, mostly the tools I use, let's see if this year I can pull some speech or workshop that can relate to that and game devs.

Overall, I will sure be able to be more active on the game side of things this next years and I can't wait to get back into it. A little vacation at my parents place these couple next weeks should be a perfect recharge.

later!

spacefractal

That Joust game looks nice and im like ALEKTRION as well. nice to see underwater games and not just space shooters, hehe. Nice idea.

Anyway im have done a LOT of stuff for Rusty Pixels. All for Spectrum Next. Some of the game might got ported to other systems, but im cant tell very much throught.

So yes im did stuff for Head over Heels, Warhawk, Baggers in Space, Tyvarian and even RAMS. RAMS is a arcade adaption running arcade z80 code directly on the machine and then adapter the graphics and music as needed. Very cool.

Scramble, which im also did sound/music stuff for does not uses arcade roms, its was a port started from scratch with no code used from the arcade.

Later game im did was Head over Heels, which is a fully official license from Atari (which own the ip today). But howover im cant code assemply throught, but can do levels with the code Micheal Ware give me throught. So that must been my first licensed game. hihi.

Ohh year im did do Cave Heores 2024 ealier this year when im have the possible, that one is in glbasic and only released as a HTML5/Javascript game.

PS. Im think im last year even have contacted you a day if you wanted to join us, howover we currectly have Simon Butler for graphics.

PPS. None edit buttons works for me, which is all broken. property due a plugin from mine side? hence im cant link youtube vidoes.
Genius.Greedy Mouse - Karma Miwa - Spot Race - CatchOut - PowerUp Elevation - The beagle Jam - Cave Heroes 2023 - https://spacefractal.itch.io/

erico

yes the forum interface is bugged

edit: I added the tubes by hovering the mouse over the ghost buttons, its descriptions pop out and you can tell them apart :D

Paul Smith

For me its 2 projects
This one is an educational tool, its an European intruder alarm keypad so learner can practice in preparation for there final exam. it 90% complete and the version linked below is not the latest and is full of bugs.
https://paulsmith6175gmailcom.itch.io/epa-pyronix-prep

engineer code is 1111 if you want to play.

The other I've just started is to work out the battery capacity requirements of Fire / Security systems.
All my student have Iphones so its all targeted for HTML5.
just working on the screen rescale but GLBasic respondes with 0s or 300,150 using GETSCREENSIZE or GETDESKTOPSIZE when compiled for HTML. Anyone knows a better way let me know.
Amstrad CPC 6128, ATARI STE.
Acer  SW5-173 & AMD RYZEN 7,RTX 3060TI

erico

Nice HTML5 + itchio integration!
It ran perfectly here on my end, but I didn't know what to do :D

spacefractal

All glbasic games is on the same site:
https://spacefractal.itch.io/

All games im have done Spectrum Next stuff:
https://www.rustypixels.uk/

300x150 standard resolution was one of them im fixed im remember, you even posted on the thread, so you property have tried to uses that implementation. All my games shall run fullscreen as im choosen to do that.